Charlotte Stepping Up for Small Business:
South End Businesses Kick Off Second
Annual Small Business SaturdaySM
The day after Black Friday is Small Business Saturday, a day to support the local businesses that create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods around the country. Small Business Saturday, which falls on November 26th this year, was created in 2010 in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: creating more demand for their products and services.
In 2010, Americans used Small Business Saturday to show their passion for the small businesses in their communities. Consumers showed their support, as 1.5 million Facebook users “liked” the Small Business Saturday page and millions of American Express Cardmembers helped drive up year-over-year
sales at independent retailers by 28%.
2011 will be even bigger as 89 million consumers plan to “shop small” on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, according to the Small Business Saturday Consumer Spend Survey 2011. The City of Charlotte has signed up to support local businesses and will celebrate Small Business Saturday 2011 with on-the-ground activities in South End.
WHERE: Atherton Mill Market,2000 South Blvd,Charlotte,NC
- There will be four main hubs throughout South End where Small Business Saturday related activities
will be taking place: Camden Road (North), Atherton Mill Market, Sedgefield Shopping Center (Healthy Home Market), and Furniture Row (Foster Ave)
WHEN: Saturday, November 26, 2011, from 10 AM ET to 6 PM ET
- Starting at 10 AM, gift wrapping stations will be set up at Camden Road and Atherton Mill
- Starting at 9 AM and through 2 PM, the Atherton Mill Market will be open
- Holiday Festivities
- Two Christmas tree lots will be set up at Atherton Mill and Camden Road
- Throughout the day, Santa Claus will be visiting Camden Road (North), Atherton Mill Market, Sedgefield Shopping Center (Healthy Home Market), and Furniture Road (Foster Ave)
- Musical Performances
- There will be live music at Camden Road, Atherton Mill, and Healthy Home Market
- Raffles and Giveaways
- $25 American Express gift cards and other items will be raffled and given away at 10 AM, 1 PM, and 5 PM
- Mayoral Support
- Reading of the Mayor’s Proclamation taking place at 10am. City Council Member David Howard will read the proclamation.
Denise Rodriguez-Lopez, Small Business Saturday spokesperson; Ted Boyd of Charlotte Center City Partners; and Charlotte business owner Lia Lucero, CEO and founder of Showpiece are available for
on-site interviews to help shape your holiday shopping stories.
They can discuss:
1. The importance of local businesses to our economy and job creation
2. The benefits of shopping small that consumers often overlook, such as connecting with your neighbors and gaining a sense of community involvement (not to mention fewer crowds, better customer service, etc.);
3. Background on Small Business Saturday
4. Impact of Small Business Saturday on America’s small businesses
MEDIA: Please contact Jenny Tamayo at 212-539-3204 (office), 305-794-7336 (cell), or email@example.com for more information on the event or to schedule an interview time.